Thursday, April 9, 2009

What A Scare!

Matthew scared me half to death today! I was giving him his multivitamin through a dropper (in his cheek) and he started gagging on me and couldn't breathe. His eyes got really big and he started turning a light shade of blue. He just couldn't get a breath and I didn't know what else to do but rub his back and pray that he take a breath! I was just about to grab the phone when he finally got some color back and went limp. I kept rubbing his back until he started breathing more. AHHH! It made me think of Maggie and her son, Ericson, (they were neighbors to us at the NICU) and she said they had made a trip to the ER already due to him gagging and turning purple, not able to breathe!!! I was going to take a shower, but instead I am going to keep a very close eye on Matthew until I am sure he doesn't have anything whatsoever in that throat of his. He is now sleeping in the swing and I my heart is not pumping so hard. Everything is just fine now, but it makes you realize how fast something can happen. I think I will be discussing another alternative to supplementation for Matthew with our home nurse and the pediatrician tomorrow. I do not want to do that again. This is the 2nd time we tried it and the first time he also had a difficult time (but not like this!)

1 comment:

  1. How scary!!! I'm glad he's doing ok though!
    Cyndi

    ReplyDelete