Thursday, January 22, 2009

We've Made It This Far!

Well, here we are at 27 weeks, 5 days. This was only a dream 7 weeks ago, when we first found out I was having contractions, funneling, and my cervix was getting even shorter. At that time, we were praying we would make it to 23 weeks, so they could actually try to save our baby boy. Any time before 23 weeks is considered a miscarriage and the baby has no chance of survival outside the womb. For those that don't understand funneling, it is like a small tornado above my cervix which usually occurs when I am contracting. Instead of being a nice, rounded surface, it is a V-shape and the cervix can become shorter. This usually happens (to my understanding) later in pregnancy when your body is getting prepared for labor.
Contractions are normal throughout pregnancy, but our concern is more in the shortening of my cervix. My cervix was short to begin with, so any loss is significant (at least to us).

To make a long story, a little shorter, my cervix started at a thickness of 3.5 cm (which is shorter than average) and is now at 1.5 cm. I had a procedure at 13 weeks to put in what is called a cerclage, which is a stitch that holds the cervix closed. Right now, the only thing between the baby and "the outside" is that stitch. So now...it really is just a waiting period, and so far that stitch is doing it's job.

As I was visiting one of my OB docs last week, he said something like "you just want to keep this interesting for us, dont you?" and "Laura, you are only allowed so many questions". Those of you that know me and have already been on this journey with us can appreciate both of these statements! I will not be seen at the OB office until 29 wks, mainly because they don't want me traveling and I need to rest as much as possible. If I have major issues, that do not require me to go to triage (labor & delivery), they will come directly to the house. They have been wonderful to us and we feel that we have made an excellent decision to travel to UofM for care! As far as medication goes, I have been taken off of prometrium (progesterone). I still remain on Niphedipine to help with contractions and the relaxation of the uterus. There is no harm to the baby in using this med. We will have a full ultrasound at 29 weeks to get an idea of how much Matthew weighs and hopefully get some good pictures.

Today's update is good. My contractions (which are no longer unnoticeable) are decreasing and becoming less uncomfortable. Matthew (the baby) is doing great. He is a real kicker and likes to turn or flip (at least it feels that way) often, which is not always fun for me, but sure is reassuring and fun to watch! Andrew got to feel the baby kick last night, he was so excited!! It was fun to see his facial expressions. Matthew's heart rate has always been strong and he gets the hiccups here and there (which is also a good sign in development). We got his room painted today and are starting to slowly prepare in anticipation for his arrival. I believe his chance of survival at this point is around 90%, but there are still mental and physical complications that can occur. Every day at this point counts and is a huge milestone for us. I was reading today and it said that the baby can now open his eyes! How exciting!


As I get going further with this journal/blog, I will try to figure out how to do a timetable, so you can see all the adventures we have been through in the past and with this pregnancy. I know most of you that are reading this (if you've gotten this far) probably don't want to be bored by all of the details. But since this is also my journal, I will add some to a sidebar later.

4 comments:

  1. Laura~

    Congratulations...seems like everything is going in a positive direction! How is Andrew doing? I can't wait to read his updates as well! And pictures will be great too :) Can't wait to see you guys again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura! I'm Caryn's niece, Cyndi - I'm glad to see you've entered the world of blogging. Caryn's been giving me updates and I'm so happy to see that things are still going well! My pregnancy is still going well too - 18 weeks this week! Good luck to us both!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Laura, I think of you everyday and pray that Matthew keeps getting stronger and stays in there for a little while longer!!

    I've tried to connect with you on Facebook but for some reason cannot add you :(

    Thanks for starting this blog and keeping us up to date. Let me know if you need anything, as you know, I'm not far away!!

    Take CARE!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you everyone for your comments! I wish you all the best and thank you for your support and friendship!

    ReplyDelete