Saturday, January 31, 2009

In The Hospital Until Delivery

Please bear with me, for I am writing at 4am between contractions which are about 3 minutes apart. I tried not to get too detailed for those that are reading, but wanted to give enough info. that I could look back later and know what is happening or has happened. Again, this is also our journal.

My amniotic fluid started leaking Thursday morning. I have been in the hospital ever since and will be here until we deliver. My fluid loss has increased over the last few days, but the baby can be fine without it at this point and will keep making more. They have been giving me anitibiotics to prevent or fight any infection, that I am now at increased risk for. I have been fine up to this point, things had been pretty mild and my contractions had spread apart. Right now, I am getting a little nervous because I am bleeding slightly and contracting approx. every 3 minutes. The contractions are a little more intense than they have been in the past. I am blogging to keep myself occupied and less focused on the contractions, plus I couldn't attempt to sleep at this point (that is what woke me in the first place).

The doctors don't seem too concerned at this point and are monitoring me very closely. There are two things that could be happening (why I'm bleeding and contracting): 1) my cerclage (stitch) is still in place (we think) and there could be a lot of tension/pulling on this. It could hold and it could tear. Actually, this is the best case senario. They will not check me until I am in intense pain and seem to be in full labor or the baby is having a little harder time. The reason for this, is to prevent infection. Matthew is doing fine now, but again they are closely monitoring him. 2) the placenta could be detaching from the uterus wall. If there is only a small part it is fine. If a large part separates, then the baby will be distressed and they will have to get him out. They don't think this is happening, but it is a possibility and cannot be ruled out.

There is definitely possible that my contractions could settle down and become less frequent, and things could go back where they were about 1 1/2 hours ago. Or things will continue to progress. We just have to sit tight and see.

Eric and I met with the NICU (neonatal intensive care unit) last night and feel really good about Matthew's care if he is born now. Of course, we would rather take him home, but making it to 36 wks is no longer an option. I will update you on that later, after he is born.

It is now 5:40 am. Contractions are farther apart, but more intense right now. I will most likely not update any further until all has settled down.

1 comment:

  1. Laura,
    My family is praying for you and Matthew. I wish there was something more I could do but we live in Virginia. I know prayers are strong and can help though and you have family and friends up there. I will check back often to read your progress.

    Stay strong.
    Kellie Mirasola

    ReplyDelete